Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mind bite








I also have a request for book suggestions. Anyone who knew me growing up will remember that I would read while eating, while walking, and until my limbs went numb. My mom even insisted on a "NO books at the dinner table" rule. I would convince my parents to take me to Borders to stock up on books and I would finish reading a book in the car ride home afterwards. 

Now, I'll tell you this: I am not a critic, nor will I say that I'm up to date with what's new and good out there. Usually when I get antsy for a new book, I go to my friend Torie--who works in publishing--for suggestions. I'm not an authority on the written word. I read somewhere that "No two people can read the same book" and I totally agree with it. Reading is very personal and what one can get out of a book will vary drastically from person to person.

With that said, here are a few things I've read, or re-read, and enjoyed recently.

Philip Roth - Indignation
I read this book in a single day and was visibly shaken after I finished it. It's so, so good. That's all I can say.

Joan Didion - The Last Thing He Wanted
I sound like a book blurb when I say that this is Joan Didion at her finest. Her writing reveals as much as it conceals. I can honestly see why Torie wants to camp outside of  her brownstone until Joan will love her.

F. Scott Fitzgerald - Short Stories
This compilation reminded me why I love Fitzgerald so much. He's just a genius with short stories.

Victoria Finlay - Color: A Natural History of the Palette
This was given to me as a Christmas present and it is a must read for anyone interested in Art. I have such a deeper understanding of color because of this book.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment